Monday, August 8, 2011

Quotable Insight

As predicted, no one has seen this blog yet, but as promised, here is the second post, one week later. I won’t quit that easily.

Today I’m going to give the world a little insight into myself, by way of a few of my favourite song lyrics, movie quotes and book quotes.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. I’m going for variety and quality, not quantity. Some of these quotes/lyrics are insightful and ‘deep.’ Others are funny or showcase the writers style and skill. Some are simply ones that my sister and I have shared so many times they’ve becomea part of me.

Music:
I’ll start with lyrics. This is not, by any means, a list of my favourites, just a sampling of lyrics I love that don’t lose their potency when without music. If you keep reading this blog, I promise you’ll hear lots more about music. It’s an obsession of mine.

Limon y sal (Julieta Venegas)
Yo te quiero con limón y sal
Yo te quiero tal y como estás
No hace falta cambiarte nada
I first heard this song in my Spanish class, but I’ve since come to love on it’s own merits. I especially adore this part of the chorus, which basically means “I love you just the way you are, good and bad, there’s no need to change.” Click here to watch the music video, and here to read an English translation of full lyrics.

I hope you dance (Lee Ann Womack)
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
My dad used to play this song for us, and it truly does have a wonderful message. The music video can be found here, although I don’t particularly care for her look in it. Too much makeup, and too dressy. For me, life isn’t about looking like that. From this song I thought it wasn’t for Lee Ann Womack either.

Will I? (Rent)
Yes, I’m a bit Rent obsessed. This song consists of 15 words, repeated and in round, poignant and beautiful. These lyrics represent what’s so amazing about Rent.
Will I lose my dignity?
Will someone care?
Will I wake tomorrow?
From this nightmare?
 
Movies:
The Princess Bride
I’ve seen this movie so many times I’ve lost count. We used to watch it every summer at my grandparent’s cottage, and I practically know the whole thing by heart. I don’t want to spoil the awesomeness of the first viewing by revealing all the laugh-out-loud funny parts, so here is a single quote. It’s one that my sister and I love to quote to each other at random. No, we’re not exactly normal.
Westley: Ha! Your pig fiance is too late. A few more steps and we'll be safe in the fire swamp.
Buttercup: We'll never survive!
Westley: Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has.
Star Wars
I don’t know why, but despite having seen Star Wars IV, V & VI about a million times each, this is still the only Star Wars quote my sister and I use and abuse on a regular basis. It’s from Star Wars II, and anytime someone says “it depends” around the two of us, this is what follows.
Obi-Wan: These Kaminos, are they friendly?
Dex: That depends.
Obi-Wan: Depends on what Dex?
Dex: On how well your manners are, and how big your pocketbook is.
For best results, that last line requires a long, drawn-out delivery in an obviously fake deep voice.

G.I. Jane
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.
This movie played on summer repeat about five years ago, and my family watched it (or parts of it) probably six times in a week. This line is just so funny, and perfectly indicative of the military culture “G.I. Jane” finds herself in.


Books:
The Thief (Megan Whalen Turner)
Gen (narrating): Ambiades, I realized, was the kind of person who liked to put people in a hierarchy, and he wanted me to understand that I was at the bottom of his. … For my part, I wanted Ambiades to understand that I considered myself a hierarchy of one.
The Queen of Attolia (MWT)
Attolia: And now we wait.
Nahuseresh: Wait for what?
Attolia: Hmm? Good heavens, I don't know. Eddis produces such lovely threats when her Thief is concerned.
The King of Attolia (MWT)
The king sighed. Forgetting Costis standing nearby, forgetting possibly that anyone or anything else in the world existed, the king said shakily, “Tell me you won’t cut out my lying tongue, tell me you won’t blind me, you won’t drive red-hot wires into my ears.”
After one moment of gripped immobility, the queen bent to kiss the king lightly on one closed eyelid, then on the other. She said, “I love your eyes.” She kissed him on either cheek, near the small lobe of his ear. “I love your ears, and I love”—she paused as she kissed him gently on the lips—“every single one of your ridiculous lies.”
MWT’s Queen’s Thief series is amazing. I’ve reread those books many times, getting deeper into the story each time. I chose these quotes because they each capture a certain aspect of MWT’s writing.
The first is Gen’s tone: witty, sarcastic and oh so lovable despite all his faults. The second is the wonderful political interplay in these books, and MWT’s perfect turn of phrase. The third passage captures the essence of the relationship the main characters share. It’s poignant pure and deep, but not perfect, and they’ve had to overcome so much to get where they are now.
For those of you interested in this series (which I highly recommend), this is a spoiler free review.

Terry Pratchett
If you haven’t read anything by Pratchett, fix it right now. I beg you! I’d share a bunch of quotes, but too many would require at least some context to be fully understood, and if I got started, I’d never be able to stop myself. So here are simply two examples of his wit and wisdom. Trust me, if you read his books you won’t be disappointed.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day; set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. (Jingo)
The Monks of Cool, whose tiny and exclusive monastery is hidden in a really cool and laid-back valley in the lower Ramtops, have a passing-out test for a novice. He is taken into a room full of all types of clothing and asked: Yo, my son, which of these is the most stylish thing to wear? And the correct answer is: Hey, whatever I select. (Lords and Ladies)
Mercedes Lackey
Her books aren’t nearly as funny as Pratchett’s, but they don’t aspire to be. Lackey’s writing is the best of fantasy and storytelling combined, with a lot of emotional depth and wisdom.
If I'm walking on thin ice, I might as well dance my way across.
This line inspired Lackey to write a filk song that I adore, called Philosophy.
Friendly fire isn't.
A Shin’a’in proverb. So short. So true.
That was then, this is now, the moment is never the same twice.
Said by a proverb dispensing character whenever someone throws one of her proverbs or past advice back in her face.
Just because you feel certain an enemy is lurking behind every bush, it doesn't follow that you are wrong.
I love this one. It reminds me of the more modern 'you’re not paranoid if they’re really after you,' which I also adore.

Dealing with Dragons (Patricia C. Wrede)
This was one of my first favourite books, with a strong female main character. The opening is still one of my favourite things to read.
Linderwall was a large kingdom, just east of the Mountains of Morning, where philosophers were highly respected and the number five was fashionable. The climate was unremarkable. The knights kept their armor brightly polished mainly for show—it had been centuries since a dragon had come east. There were the usual periodic problems with royal children and uninvited fairy godmothers, but they were always the sort of thing that could be cleared up by finding the proper prince or princess to marry the unfortunate child a few years later. All in all, Linderwall was a very prosperous and pleasant place.
Cimorene hated it.
Tamora Pierce
Continuing the theme of strong female protagonists, next I fell in love with Tamora Pierce’s books. Here is a sampling of lines/dialogue that stuck with me.

Alanna: I'll be fine.
Coram: You're sure?
Alanna: Of course. Would I have said so, if I wasn't?
Coram: Yes.
(Alanna: The First Adventure)

Myles: You didn't kill him. He would have killed you, but you didn't kill him.
Alanna: So? He was stupid. If I killed everyone who was stupid, I wouldn't have time to sleep.
(In the Hand of the Goddess)

"I think as a human being... Men don't think any differently from women- they just make more noise about being able to."
(Alanna, The Woman Who Rides Like a Man)

Prince Kaddar: We assumed those tales of women fighting among the Riders were only tales. No woman has ever asked to join our armies.
Daine: With you so open and welcoming to the idea, I'm not surprised.
...
Kaddar: Women aren't up to the discipline of military life.
Daine: You must tell Lady Alanna that sometime. I'd do it from a distance.
(Emperor Mage)

"When people say a knight's job is all glory, I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Often I can stop laughing before they edge away and talk about soothing drinks."
(Raoul, Squire)

"Mistresses, have you ever noticed that when we disagree with a male- I hesitate to say 'man'- or find ourselves in a position over males, the first comment they make is always about our reputations or our monthlies?"
(Keladry, Lady Knight)


As you can tell by the length of the sections, books are my main obsession. I could go on all day. I have, elsewhere and in real life.
Thank you for perusing my ramblings. If any of the links are broken, please let me know and I’ll fix them ASAP. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment