Monday, September 5, 2011

Purchasing Philosophy

Today is a tragic day; school starts tomorrow! I am kind of excited about it - seeing my very busy friends again, starting a new cross-country running season etc… But at the same time, I’m nervous and sad. This is my last year of high school, and it feels way too soon.
In any case, I don’t want to moan, so I thought I’d share with you some pictures I took with my new digital camera.
I bought it just last Friday, after an effortful decision-making process. First, on Wednesday I went to Best Buy (big box electronic store) and looked at a couple things I was considering purchasing, including cameras.
On Thursday, having decided for sure to get a camera, I went to my local specialty camera store (Vistek) and got their recommendations based on my needs and price range. Then I went back to Best Buy and compared prices, as well as seeing what similar cameras they had.
Everywhere I went I took copious notes on the features I needed/wanted and the features the cameras had. Thursday night, I spent more than an hour online researching features and how they affected performances and ease of use, and comparing different cameras.
I ended up deciding on Vistek’s original recommendation, and I bought it there on Friday. I’ve taken quite a few pictures since, and I’m super happy with the portability and performance of my camera: a Canon Powershot ELPH 100 HS.
Three trips in three days, plus copious research and thinking: my sister thought I was a bit crazy for not just taking the first recommendation, especially since that’s what I ended up with. But this way I’m happy with my purchase and sure I made the right choice, which I wouldn’t be if I hadn’t take the time to learn about my options in depth.
It’s kind of a theme in my life, when it comes to buying new stuff or getting involved in something new. Do I want it? (Really?) Do I need it? (Really?) Do I have a use for it? (A good and real use? A use that is commensurate to price*?)
*price is not just money, but also time, hassle, complications etc…
Take Facebook example. I don’t have a Facebook account. I don’t want one. I don’t need one. I have a use for one, but not a big enough use to be worth the time I would most likely spend on it, and the complications having one would entail, for reasons I won’t go into publicly. So the status quo endures, until something in that equation changes.
In any case, here are some non-identifying (I hope) pictures I’ve taken over the past couple days, when I was trying out some of the cool special effects settings on my camera.
 This is my kitchen, taken with the special effect “miniaturize” on. This blurs the top and the bottom, and makes the scene look as if it might have been taken in a dollhouse.
These two shots were taken from the porch of a cottage in northern Quebec, using a fisheye lens effect.
Hopefully with my new camera I'll post more pictures here in the weeks to come. In the meantime, good luck to everyone going back to school this fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment