Monday, October 10, 2011

Giving Thanks

It’s Thanksgiving this weekend, at least here in Canada. What better time to reflect on how lucky I am, and all the good things I have in my life? It’s so easy to dwell on the negative. 
I’ll start with something small that has nevertheless made the weekend a lot better: the lovely warm weather. It felt like summer outside, and not just in the sun. The breeze was actually warm, and we had warm nights. It was a last taste of warmth before it starts to get cold, and I appreciated it to no end.
Moving on to the big picture, I am thankful for my health and for my strength - thank you genetics, good luck, and good habits. I work out a lot, and try to eat at least a base of healthy foods, and it pays off, even though I’m no paragon of virtue.
I am also thankful for my friends, in particular my best friend, an amazing girl who is always there for me and who understands me like no one else does. Also deserving of special mention are my two ‘guy best friends’ - one of whom recently became my boyfriend. They are kind, funny, interesting people who I trust and respect absolutely. I try to make sure all three of them know what they mean to me, and I think I succeed. With them, I can be myself no matter what, and that’s something I’ve said plenty of times ("I’m glad I have friends like you guys to make me feel normal.")
A bit of a recurring theme recently has been the kindness of near-strangers. Our neighbours are letting us piggyback off their wireless internet since Primus cut us off last week during a process which was supposed to boost our internet speed. They’ve told us since that it’s a problem with our modem, and a new one will arrive next week. It’s bullshit, and I’m grateful to be relatively unaffected by it.
For scholarship applications I need to submit ‘activity verification sheets’ to my school, and these sheets require contact info of ‘supervisors.’ Problem is, NaNoWriMo and Script Frenzy don’t have supervisors. So I e-mailed the Office of Letters and Light with a plea, and sure enough, within a day or two I heard back from Sarah Mackey, who was happy to give me her contact info in case someone actually wanted to check up on me. The OLL staff truly are wonderful people.
Looking back on the last few weeks, there are a couple of other positive experiences that stand out. First, I became a published author. It’s only a single short poem in an anthology published by the city library, but it’s a legit book and everything, and I’m in it!!! I’m so grateful to the group that organized the contest and the resulting book of winners for giving me this opportunity, and once again I’m grateful to NaNoWriMo for inspiring me to try writing for contests.
Second, I am grateful for my boyfriend, who makes me feel desirable. It sounds conceited, but I don’t need to be told I’m beautiful. I can see my own inner beauty, even if my outside is often only so-so. But it takes others to tell me I’m pretty, the kind of outside beauty others are the judges of, and it’s nice to have someone who makes me feel that way without words.
Most of all, I am thankful for my mom and for my sister, who love me unconditionally, even though they know the worst of me.
Whether you just celebrated Thanksgiving, will celebrate it in November, or have never even heard of the holiday, I recommend taking a minute to reflect on the good things in your life. Chances are you’ll feel better afterwards; I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment