Monday, November 28, 2011

Chancellor’s Award Stress (and a Christmas song!)

 Last Thursday, I got the super exciting news that I was nominated for the Queen’s University Chancellor’s Award, a scholarship worth 36 000$ over four years. At some high schools, being nominated is just a matter of talking to your guidance counsellor, but at my high school, it meant filling out the entire nine page application and competing with 25+ students for two spots.
Understandably, I was over the moon when I got the news - and then almost immediately incredibly stressed. I had to find someone to write me a reference, and then get my OUAC application done. On top of everything else that was looming.
Thankfully my cross-country coach agreed to write me the letter, which I hugely appreciated, since she knows me best out of everyone I considered asking, and the OUAC application was just basic personal info.
Then I did my three hour French exam today, and handed in my lab report, and yesterday I built my spring launcher, so those three things are out of the way… but I still need 5000 words to finish NaNoWriMo, and I should study for the three math tests I have this week. This is, of course, on top of regular schoolwork and other projects and summatives. I’m just glad today is over with. The week has to get better from here!
In any case, tonight I finalized my application, and tomorrow it goes off to Queen’s. Hopefully I receive one of the awards. Engineering tuition is expensive, but 9000$ per year would just about cover it. My mom’s happy about that, but to be honest, I’m more excited about the fact that Chancellor’s Award recipients are automatically guaranteed a single room in residence. Yes, I’m just that introverted and worried about cleanliness. What can I say? I need my space.
Today’s post may not be that interesting to you, whoever you are, but it was seriously therapeutic for me - I was a lot more stressed before I realized how many of these tasks I actually have knocked off since Friday. So thank you, whoever you are, for providing the motivation to write this.
Before I go, I want to recommend a Christmas song, since although the snow we had last week had melted, I am totally in the mood for Christmas music. The song is Christmas At My House, by Jessie Farrell.

No comments:

Post a Comment