Monday, November 7, 2011

Recommendations from a Busy Wrimo

Have you noticed how nearly all of my blog posts happen just before midnight? No? Well then I’m glad, and kinda wishing I hadn’t pointed it out. Since I have, I might as well offer the time honoured excuse of being a procrastinator.
Which is certainly part of it. But really, it comes down to this: without goals I work poorly, without deadlines, not at all. Which can be a problem, because when the line between important and urgent becomes blurred, and self-imposed deadlines conflict with exterior deadlines, my tidy little plans fall apart.
At least, in the midst of not doing so many things I need to, I am doing well with NaNoWriMo. As of this writing, I have eleven thousand and some words, although still no clue how the main characters are going to stop the bad guys. That's NaNo for you!
Other goals aren’t going so well, like getting eight hours sleep for a week. But remembering that goal does tend to make me sleep more, so it is serving a purpose.
Because I’m too tired from school and NaNo to come up with too much more to say, I’ll end by mentioning a couple of songs I’ve had on repeat over the past few days.
Scarborough Fair, a folk ballad whose opening lines (”Are you going to Scrborough fair?”) you probably recognize. Plenty of different versions have been recorded. This one is by Simon and Garfunkel, from the movie The Graduate. I chose it because it’s 6+ minutes, and it’s convenient not to have to restart it so often. Plus it sounds really cool with all the overlap, although if that’s not your cup of tea there are lots of other simpler versions out there.
If you like Scarborough Fair, there’s a really amazing book called Impossible (by Nancy Werlin) about a girl who has to lift a curse based on the song. I actually read this book by accident, when I was looking for Graceling (by Kristin Cashore). On my library’s website the Graceling cover was shown on Impossible’s page, which was seriously unhelpful. Anyways, both books are really good and I totally recommend you read them.



A Drop in the Ocean, by Ron Pope. I was at a get-together for my high school hockey team on Friday night, and this came on from one girl's iPod, and it just struck me. It’s a really pretty song, and I can relate to a lot of what he’s saying. This isn’t my favourite version, but the recording he made with The District doesn’t seem to be on YouTube.



Wish me luck with the next week of NaNo!

P.S. Did you notice I'm posting this a whole three-quarters of an hour before midnight?

No comments:

Post a Comment