Monday, December 26, 2011

Unexpected Christmas Joys

It's Boxing Day here in Canada, which means a chance to recover from the copious amounts of food consumed yesterday, and to enjoy all of one's new presents. 

In a surprising twist, one of my most engaging presents this year came from an uncle & aunt who normally send generic gift cards. On the other hand, perhaps it's that I am easily engrossed in open ended puzzle type activities, and therefore enjoy the rare earth magnet 'buckyballs' they sent as presents.

But the most meaningful present I received this year was a Staples gift card from my mom. Yes, you heard that right : my mother got me a gift card to an office supply store, and I am ecstatic about it. 

As you probably know If you've read much of this blog, I am an aspiring author. As such, I keep a notebook and pen on me near constantly, and use them a lot during class. And while notebooks and purple ink pens (the most creative kind!) don't exactly break the bank, the costs do add up, and I fund it all myself. 

Compare this to my sisters hobby - shopping - where my dad and stepmom regularly take her on sprees for no particular reason. For reasons I won't go into here, me asking for a similar handout from them isn't a feasible option, and I've expressed my sadness over this state of affairs to my mother in the past. To know that she listened, understood, and is trying to make it right means the world to me.

While I received some neat gifts at my dad's house, none of them came close to matching that feeling. Still, being back here after nearly four months of semi-estrangent hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be, and I'm really enjoying spending the time with my grandfather, even if he doesn't remember it from one hour to the next. Despite his memory issues, he has no trouble kicking my butt at ping-pong.

This Christmas, I am thankful for my mother's kindness, my grandfather's sense of humour and the snow that finally arrived. Over the rest of break, I am looking forward to spending time with friends, going cross-country skiing, and catching up on sleep. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment