Monday, December 12, 2011

Why you should read my book!

Reason #1: Lots of other people want to!
Okay, I know that’s not really a good reason, and I’m the last person to ever do something because ‘lots of other people do’ but I couldn’t resist.
A week ago I posted a request for a critique on the NaNoWriMo website. Such requests go in a specific forum, and depending on genre, in a specific thread. There’s lots of people posting and so lots of competition for readers/critiquers. In fact, the mod specifically says not to expect “immediate, enthusiastic response.” And yet that’s exactly what I got.
In one week I received five - count ‘em, five! - requests to read We Who Are About To Die, my NaNo novel from last year. I’m flabbergasted, and so excited to get so much - and such a variety of - feedback.
But it has led me to wonder… Does this mean I write a decent hook, that I could write a decent query? Or is the NaNo site just busy, busy, busy? But people have lives, and if they are asking me to take up their time, it’s because they want to know how the story ends. I can only hope my prose lives up to their expectations.
In any case, other than that super exciting news, I have a few quotes from my life to share with you today. Nothing earth-shakingly hilarious, but I think my sister and my math teacher are hilarious. 

About two years ago, on the insistence of our step-sister, my sister and I both read Evermore, which is basically Twilight without the originality that made Twilight a fun read. (Please don’t hate me for saying that… I know they’re no good. But I had fun reading them.) In the midst of ranting about how much Evermore sucked, my sister summed up one of the supposedly “climactic” moments of the books as follows:
And then she just randomly burst out of the class and everything consumed her so she drank some more vodka.
Yes, that’s the kind of book it was. Don’t read it.

My sister also likes to make comments about a friend of mine who is basically a genius. He also owns a water-resistant green jacket.
(A few nights ago)
Me: [name] would know what I mean
Her: [name] is a robot… or possibly an alien.
(awkward pause)
Her: Well it’s true…
(I start writing all this down)
Her: It is…
(I keep writing)
Her: Oh you’re such a jerk!
(she shuts up to make me stop writing. A few minutes later…)
Her: Well what other explanation do you have for his inhuman smartness… and scaly green jacket!
Tonight, she had a good laugh at my expense:
Her: I had fun decorating the christmas tree last night. Did you?

(a long pause as I continue doing my homework… finally I clue in and remember what she said)

Me: I enjoyed decorating the christmas * tree too.

*Her: That’s nice. (yes, she started talking right in the middle of my sentence)

(I look at her funny, unsure if she was being sarcastic)

Her: I decided to answer early to make up for you answering late.

As for my math teacher, he is a happy, friendly man who grew up in Lebanon during the war. (I don’t know which one, just that they were being bombed all the time.) He started school two years early, and was in university at 15 and a half. Due to a shortage of teachers, anyone in university could teach, and so at 16 he started teaching - classes of 18 year olds!
I really admire this teacher, because he puts as much effort in as he expects us to. And he has an amazing accent and ESL (english as a second language) turn of phrase. I don’t write as many of his words down as I should, since I’m busy learning math, but I do have one:
Why cannot we do that?
I’m going to miss him next semester, but I think I’ll come back if I need help with calculus. He's really a great person and a great teacher and I hope he knows how much I appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment