Monday, January 2, 2012

My January Challenge : A Choose Your Own Adventure Novel

If you've been reading my blog, you've likely already discovered my passion for crazy creative challenges - novel in a month, script in a month, album in a month. I love the combination of goal, deadline, and potential for public humiliation if I quit. Which brings me to January, and Choose Your Own Adventure Novel Writing Month.

CYOA novel writing month isn't nearly as big as NaNoWriMo, but it's an intriguing idea. Despite January being the most stressful month of the year academically, I'm participating. Thankfully, the goal isn't nearly as stringent as NaNo's. If you write some sort of interactive fiction or CYOA story, you win. I think, even with summatives and exams, I can handle that.

It helps that I'm not too invested in the story as a finished product. I want to be proud enough of the .html output to share it with family and friends and maybe even you if I can work out the hosting, but that's not my main goal. Really, I'm using January and my CYOA novel to flesh out a story idea I had a while ago. This will allow me to consider all the possibilities, and discover the many different faces my protagonist might actually wear.

To create my novel/game, because to be honest it feels a lot like the latter, I'm use Twine (http://gimcrackd.com/etc/src/) software designed to make the process pretty painless. Unfortunately due to presumed quasi-abandonment by the developer, there are a few annoying bugs, but on the whole the process is easy, and produces a really neat product for relatively little effort on my part. Other than the bit about designing and writing the actual story, that is...

So far, I'm enjoying CYOA novel writing month (all two days of it so far) I'll definitely post updates, however brief, about tentatively titled "Kingdom Rule" as the month progresses. If you're interested in writing some interactive fiction this January, check out the site http://www.chooseyourownnovel.webs.com/

Happy New Year everyone! I hope that 2011 was grand, and that 2012 will be even grander.

No comments:

Post a Comment