Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Frenzy Nears!

April is Script Frenzy, NaNoWriMo's sister event, and over thirty fun-filled days, participants from around the world challenge themselves to write a 100 page script. I've done this for the past two years, and this year, having just turned 18, I'm also going to ML. More on that later.

Back to writing: 
I have advice for everyone today who has a plot they think they like... keep poking at it. Keep asking those pesky questions that don't have answers, keep looking at the details of actually writing your script/story, not just the cool vision in your mind.
 
I had a vision of an epic stage musical that would repurpose popular songs to tell an intense story. That didn't work out so well. But I can say in all honesty that I am much happier with my current plan. I'm using roughly half the old plot, with a bunch of new fun stuff, and it's going to be a stage musical - for kids!

I'm aiming for my play to be performable by roughly middle school aged kids, and so the story is undergoing big changes as I focus in on that audience and actor group. I've introduced a big chorus, simpler songs, more bit parts, and more parts for girls (a necessity given that this is a play about a army besieging a castle).

I've gotten a ton of use out of the worksheets and exercises found under "Writer's Resources" on the Script Frenzy website. I highly recommend checking out the 'Boot Camp,' which helped me nail down my characters and plot.

The resource I'm looking forward to using during April is the Hollywood Plot Formula worksheet, even though I'm writing an amateur play. I'm hoping to use their "by this page you should be at this point" guidelines to keep my script moving forward. If you, like me, have a tendency to get bogged down in useless details and digressions as you frantically try to hit word/page count, I suggest you check it out.

Back to ML'ing (if it's not a verb it ought to be):
Both Script Frenzy and NaNoWriMo have local leaders called Municipal Liaisons (or MLs) who organize events, send out encouraging emails, wring every last words out of the writers in their region, foster a social atmosphere in their region and make sure everyone has fun!
 
Ottawa hasn't had an ML for Script Frenzy in years. This year, being of legal age, I was eligible for the position, and so I'm taking on the exciting challenge. Thankfully the ML section of the Script Frenzy website has tons of helpful resources. Having just gained access to them, I don't feel so alone anymore.
 
If you're a Frenzy participant in Ottawa, please join the region officially on the website, and get involved on our forum. I should get things a bit more organized with a calendar an such later this week. You can also follow me on Twitter, where I'm @Amethystars.

Thanks for reading & Happy Frenzy!

No comments:

Post a Comment