Monday, May 14, 2012

First Loves Blogfest


Today, as I recently found out, is Alex J. Cavanaugh's "First Loves" Blogfest. The idea is to post the first movie, song/band, book & person that you loved. I decided to participate after reading Sydney Aaliyah's post for the Blogfest. Without further ado:

First movie - The Princess Bride
Watching this movie was a summer tradition in my family for many years. I learned to love the movie even before I was old enough to understood everything that was happening, and now that I do get it, I love it even more. I've seen it at least ten or fifteen times, and I know half of it by heart, but it still makes me laugh out loud. If you like swordfighting, meta-humour & epic adventure, this movie is for you. (even though it's old. even though it's cliche. it's awesome)

First song - Defying Gravity
Growing up, my family's music was pretty much all musicals, all the time, with some other random stuff my dad liked. I enjoyed all sorts of songs, but never had anything that was mine to love. Until my grandparents took me to see Wicked when I was ten years old. Defying Gravity, the breathtaking & epic pre-intermission song, struck a chord inside me, one that still reverberates now.

First book - My Father's Dragon
I was seven when I first read this trilogy (I had an omnibus, so it counts as one book, right?) on my own. I'd had them read to me many times before though. I loved the humour, the almost fairytale-like distance from the main character, and the sheer imaginative coolness of the stories & settings. Buy the book for any kids you know, and you will enjoy reading it to/with them.
"Bum cack, bum cack, we dreed our nagon - I mean, we need our dragon!"

First person - my sister
My sister was born when I was three, and as soon as she could toddle, we became playmates and best friends. She still means the world to me, and while we don't always get along (far from it!), she knows that when it comes down to it, I am always on her side.

How about you? What/who were your first loves?

As always, you can comment below, or find me on twitter (@Amethystars). And if you really want to make my day, read & vote for my vampire/horror story "Roses" here.

Opening line: "I will never forget the way they smelled: sickly sweet, like rotted roses."

I wish you all a great week, with plenty of time for relaxing and enjoying life, as well as pursuing whatever goals you may have. I, on the other hand, will be surviving school as best I can :)

Morgan

6 comments:

  1. Nice to read about your sister being your love! Thank you.


    Sharing the Love!
    English Speaking Zone

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Princess Bride is a wonderful film. I saw it listed as many peoples' first.
    Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great taste on the movie! I loved Wicked when I saw the play. Haven't heard of the book, I'll have to check it out. That's so sweet about your sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I'm late.
    Princess Bride - Such a wonderful choice!
    Nice picks.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wicked is a great musical and 'Defying Gravity' is a great song that comes from that musical. How do you find the other songs in the musical such as 'Popular' and 'What is This Feeling?'?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love The Princess Bride. How cute your sis is your first love :)

    ReplyDelete