Monday, May 21, 2012

We Are What We Repeatedly Do

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." ~ Aristotle
We all do - and are - a lot of things.

I am an athlete. I run or otherwise exercise almost every day. I love to compete, and I compete to win. But I don't think about running when I'm bored in class.

I am a student. I attend classes 9 to 3, and do homework late into the night. I work hard and earn good marks. But I don't think about chemistry when I'm waiting for a ringette game to start.

We are what we repeatedly do, and more importantly, what we cannot stop doing. When I'm bored in class, sitting on the bus, waiting to go on the ice or relaxing between track races, I sit back, relax and let the stories flow. Sometimes they come out as songs or poems, sometimes as the beginning of a short story or as the idea for a novel. But every day, in the hundred little moments of downtime every person has, the ideas for writing come. It's the act of recording these ideas, of expanding them and finishing them, that makes me what I truly am.

We are what we repeatedly to. I am a writer.

Inspired by a contest by Jeff Goins (youareawriter.com), and my grade ten math teacher, whose posters for the rowing team use the above Aristotle quote.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! It's so lovely, and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete