Sunday, June 17, 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo Update

We are now seventeen days into the epic adventure that is NaNoWriMo. A desperate quest to write fifty thousand words in thirty days. Normally for me, not so epic. I write every day, stay mostly on schedule, and finish up in a burst of energy with a few days to spare.

Not so this month. It's June, which is my last month of high school, full of summatives (final projects worth 10% of your grade), random other big projects, and exams. Plus regular life and many hours wasted shopping until I found a prom dress. (okay, only about seven, split over two days. it still sucked. but my dress is awesome and black and slinky and I rarely like dresses so I'm happy to have found this one)

Anyways. Point is, I'm nearly seventeen thousand words behind. Yes, you read that right. In addition to my daily 1667 words between now and June 30th, I have to find time and energy to write more than a thousand extra words every day. Joy.

And yet, I'm strangely excited by the challenge. The pressure is on, so to speak, and if you read my last post you'd know I thrive under pressure. So while part of me is starting to think that this might be the time I can't pull it off, the rest of me is looking forward to the challenge.

This weekend, I've more than doubled my wordcount. If I can stay on track with two or three thousand words a day, 50k is still within reach. To help me stay motivated, I thought I'd tell you all how I'm doing so far

Day: 17

Words: 11 660

Biggest driving force: I want this rewrite done.

Most helpful thing: writing in first person. I go off on fewer tangents, and can focus more on my main character's emotions and growth.
 
Another helpful thing: bribing myself with fudge.

Most UNhelpful thing: caring about quality since this is a rewrite that I'm proud of so far, not a first draft that's allowed to be utterly crappy.

Another UNhelpful thing: research. I'm not researching a lot, but I don't want to embed errors into my novel which will take a lot of time and energy to fix. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and all. For example, I had to make sure crossbows were reasonable for my civilization, given the other weapons they have. Thankfully, they were.

How I'm going to make it: aim for at least 2000 and preferably 2500 words every weekday. Aim for 5000 every weekend day. Write all day June 30th. (also, procrastinate studying for exams by writing)

Most fun part to write: the scene where I introduced all the characters - trainee gladiators - in the MC's group and got to figure out what crimes they committed. For example:
"And last but not least, there's Simon and Reaves, thugs for hire who took the wrong job and got caught up in the king's wrath over some noble misbehaviour."
Also the fact that the love interest, who turns into a pretty epic fighter later on, was sentenced to be a gladiator for tax evasion. (it was a stupid tax created by a mad king, and he was cooking the books for his father)

Most annoying thing: I've changed one of the main character's names because it was kind of odd and ended with an 's' which is very frustrating for possessives. Plus, the character needed to change, and I thought a name change would help me view them as a different person. But I still occasionally type the old name. Very annoying.

A few good quotes:

After the order to hang her has been given:
Tired and beaten, I didn't stop fighting. Every bruise left on these brutes would be one more mark on the world, one more proof tomorrow that I had existed today.
After an argument with another trainee is interrupted:
He moved away, and I thought I saw him muttering to himself. I didn't know why on earth he would have taken such a dislike of me. My only clue was that he didn't seem to like Mira much either; perhaps he didn't think it seemly for women to fight? But as he was a criminal by trade and murderer by conviction I didn't think he was in any position to be judging the seemliness of my actions or presence here.
The MCs first taste of weaponry:
I fumbled with a too heavy sword, dropped the bow when I tried to fire it, got myself tangled up in a net, and could barely get a club off the ground. I was moderately less of a failure with a spear, but only when I used two hands, which wasn't right at all. Besides, according to one of the Sorting men, I was 'too short' for a spear. I was agile enough with a dagger, but I knew that would be nigh useless in the arena against anyone else.
If you're doing Camp NaNoWriMo, or rewriting something, or any writing at all, I ask you: how's it going? Any tips and tricks you'd like to share?

(and what do you think of the excerpts?)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a rewriting for this Camp too! And I'm behind! More like 10k, but still, know you're not alone in your goals to persist.

    ReplyDelete