Saturday, September 1, 2012

Qualified Success: A "Novel" Camp NaNo Story

I've participated in seven NaNoWriMo Challenges to date - and up until today, I had finished and won every single one.

But I can't quite bring myself to say that I lost this one either. My wordcount tells me I lost, that's for sure. But wordcount doesn't tell the whole story.

For the record, I finished the story & stopped writing on Day 24

I've been working on and off on the short story turned novel called Fire for years. It's been sitting in the back of my mind, bugging me to work on it. But I could never quite manage it - until this August.

I set out this month to finish the damn story - and I did!

It turned out to be only 17 507 words long, but it's done. And the characters took it in a very different direction than I expected - but it's a direction I love.

It feels weird not to have hit 50k. Even in June, when I was very far behind the entire month, I managed to catch up on the last day by writing 15 thousand words.

So as the last few days of August approached, I knew I theoretically could force myself to writer enough words to jump into the winner's circle.

But I also knew there was no point in writing filler I wouldn't care about.

In the end, while I wish circumstances had been favourable for me to produce a full-length novel I loved and win, I'm over the moon to have a finished draft of Fire. I love this story, and to see it all written down is pretty magical.

Here's my story "blurb":
Siva Grey is running from her past, running from her magic, and running straight into trouble.

Trying to rebuild her life in a kingdom where magic is forbidden, what happens when her magic is the only thing that can save the crown prince from certain death?

Every choice has costs when you play with fire.
What other camp stories are out there? Wins, not-wins, wishing you had done its?

No comments:

Post a Comment