Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Teen Writer Reflection

(Cross-posted from Teens Can Write Too, a fun community for teen writers with events like monthly blog chains. This was my "blurb" for their first birthday celebration.)
 
For as long as I can remember, I've loved to make up stories, playing with infinite casts of characters in my own private worlds. But I had never before finished a written story outside of school assignments when I signed up for NaNoWriMo in Grade 10. 
 
My schedule that fall was crazy, and just the thought of having to write stressed me out. But something magical happened on November 1st. Suddenly I wasn't an overburdened student anymore - I was a writer, I was a novelist! I wrote at lunch, in class, when I should have been doing my homework, and late into the night. I wouldn't let myself go to bed until I had my daily 1667 words written. I don't remember sleeping so little ever before or since. 
 
It was a grueling month, but on November 29th, 2009, I finished my first novel. While I was incredibly proud of myself, the strongest feeling was of profound relief: the ordeal was over! As it turned out, that feeling lasted about a week before excitement for NaNoWriMo 2010 set in.

Years full of writing - novels and otherwise - passed, and when I had to decide what to do after high school, I was torn between the sensible and the sensational. I wanted (and still want!) to write for a living, but being an engineer (my second choice) pays the bills a lot more reliably – at least until I write that best-seller. Writing is my dream and my passion and I will never give it up. 
 
But for now, I am an engineering student. Every day I work with people who got accepted into my highly competitive program yet struggled to make the 70% cutoff mark in English. And I just don't get it, and in some ways that means I just don't fit in. Because while I think numbers are pretty and I love making them dance for me and trig identities are my idea of fun - I will just as happily spend an afternoon wrestling with a tricky plot problem. 
 
Being a teen writer has helped me find a community of people like me. When I come online or go to a NaNo write-in, I am reminded that I am far from alone.

I am a teen, a student, an athlete and a writer. There are not enough hours in a day - but I'd love to meet more teen writers anyways! You can find me on twitter @amethystars.

No comments:

Post a Comment