Monday, December 31, 2012

A few final notes for 2012

Let's pretend that last time I was here, I announced a six week hiatus, ok? That would make me not having been here for a month and a half make more sense.

I last posted mid-November, with news too exciting not to share. And then NaNoWriMo ate my life. That merged right into exams, and which extended my not-doing-dishes streak to a month (yes, literally).

I finally came home and could relax a few weeks ago - and that's about all I've been doing. Sleeping, reading, xc skiing and eating chocolate have never been so much fun.

But today is the last day (and hour!) of the year and I wanted to wrap things up, so I can start fresh in the new year.

Part of that was the above explanation for my absence, and part is a final note on the sexist Critical Thinking Test I've mentioned before (here and here).

I sent my prof an email, and I did hear back. I was too deep in a fantasy revolution to reply, but a few frustrating sentences stood out amid the generally slightly condescending tone.

-- The prof pointed out that I wouldn't have to take the test again. NOT helpful, when my issue is the effect on everyone.

-- He mentioned that women are well-represented in our other projects. NOT helpful, since fair representation in only some of the course isn't fair at all.

-- He reminded me that the dean and one of the associate deans are women. Cool, but NOT helpful, since I wasn't saying our faculty was a den of inequity and sexism.

It felt like I made a specific point, and he tried too hard to placate me with irrelevant details.

But in rereading the email since then, I saw that at it's core it was what I was hoping for. He replied respectfully, agreed there was an issue, and revealed that a new test was being phased in.

I have done what I set out to do: made sure he knows there's a problem and someone cares about it.

I can hope more change happens, but for today I will take the win in this battle and not look for a war.

---

This time last year, I was at a close friend's house for a sleepover. His family was out of town. We were waiting for midnight to go to bed (ahem). That was a fun night. 

Tonight is very different, less fun but more happy. A year has changed a lot, and I feel way more confident in exactly who I am and who I want to be.

Some of you reading this have helped to make that true, so thank you, and I hope you all have a wonderful 2013.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you heard back! I was worried it wouldn't be taken seriously, as plenty of people dismiss these things. I have someone in my life who thinks everything's fine the way it is, and the people who bring up stuff like lack of representation are just whiners. It's extraordinarily frustrating. I hope the test is changed with your point in mind.

    I hope you have a great 2013, too! I'm glad to hear you're more confident in who you are. Keep moving forward!

    ReplyDelete